The 2021–2022 financial year has seen unprecedented change for the Asset Management Team and we relished the challenge.
YourPlace Housing’s Assets team and contractors provided a continuous and highly responsive maintenance service to our tenants and delivered critical maintenance right throughout COVID-19 and the related restrictions. We constantly reviewed the COVID operating environment to ensure the safety of our tenants, staff, and contractors at all times.
In 2021, our three-yearly property assessments were outsourced to an independent contractor, which enabled a report on the condition of more than 400 properties. The data we collected from these assessments will inform the development of YourPlace Housing’s 3–5 year maintenance plan. The initial data has shown us that there is a lot of work to do, and we are progressively upgrading our properties based on these assessments. We took the opportunity to undertake major works whenever properties became vacant, and over the course of the year completed work in more than 30 such houses. We also focussed on preventative works to minimise the deterioration to our properties.
We recognise that the environment in which we operate is rapidly changing, and our products and services needed to change with it. This recognition led us undertake a review of our asset management function to identify ways we can improve the delivery of our maintenance service, which will ultimately provide a better quality of service to our tenants. We also need to ensure that the way we manage and structure the business is based not only on best practice principles but also uses our resources in the most effective way.
Among other changes, the Asset Management review culminated in the restructure of our maintenance team, and as you will read in our CEO’s report, we said goodbye to three of our longstanding staff; Gary, Serina and Jenny who left the organisation to pursue other careers. We are so grateful for their contribution to YourPlace Housing over many years.
From the Asset Management Team best wishes for the festive season.
- Position: Senior Manager, Projects
- Favourite Movie: Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption. But for a classic – North by Northwest or Vertigo.
- Favourite Food: Cake. It must be good as I am a bit fussy.
- Dream Pet: 2 actually – a Black German shepherd and a Swiss white shepherd
- Dream Holiday: Antarctica on a small vessel
- Interest/Hobbies: Anything related to architecture, design, art, and fashion
- Something quirky about you: Lived on a boat for 5 years
- Best/worst joke: A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, “Why the long face?” Why did the gym close down? It just didn’t work out!
- Position: Senior Asset Coordinator
- Favourite Movie: Inception
- Favourite Food: Italian
- Dream Pet: Staffordshire Terrier
- Favourite Music: Fave band wither NIN or Queens of the Stoneage. Have a broad taste in music, listen to everything from Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin to Prodigy, Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran.
- Dream Holiday: Japan
- Interest/Hobbies: Barbequing on offset smoker and reading
- Something quirky about you: Quiz/trivial pursuit specialist
- Best/worst joke: What do you call cheese that isn’t yours? Nacho cheese.
- Position: Customer Support Officer (Maintenance)
- Favourite Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day off
- Favourite Food: Thai – Star of Siam
- Dream Pet: Otter or a farm full of Samoyeds
- Dream Holiday: Canada without the kids but with kids go to all the Disneylands
- Interest/Hobbies: Hiking, AFL Adelaide Crows member
- Something quirky about you: I went to Tasmania for a holiday ended up staying for a year
- Best/worst joke: Why did the banana go to hospital? Because it wasn’t peeling well…
- Position: Business Support Officer
- Favourite Movie: Four Weddings and a Funeral
- Favourite Food: Seafood
- Best Quote: If you don’t go after what you want, you never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you’re always in the same place.
- Favourite Music: Imagine – John Lennon
- Dream Holiday: Around the world trip
- Interest/Hobbies: Gardening, cooking, family
- Best/worst joke: Yesterday I saw a guy spill his Scrabble letter on the road. I asked him, “What’s the word on the street?”